Interesting post by Marco of BB5 about Nadia being suicidal

Flossie
Site Admin

Interesting post by Marco of BB5 about Nadia being suicidal

Post by Flossie »

I am writing this as a deeply concerned friend of Nadia’s. She is devastated following last night’s eviction and returned home to find her car egged and abusive letters through the door. I have never seen her in this state.

It is most concerning that the public was misled in regards to the dispute with Coolio. He made deeply offensive, homophobic comments continuously to her and the other housemates regarding gender and sexuality for many days on end which were not broadcast. It was made to be seen that Coolio left the house after Nadia erratically confronted him about hiding her shoes. This was not the case. Coolio was on his third and final warning from Big Brother about abusive and threatening behaviour. By this point Nadia had suffered a panic attack and was mentally beginning to breakdown. Not broadcast. It was made to seem that Coolio asked BB to leave the house. He was in fact *asked* to leave the Big Brother house by Sharon Powers. If Coolio had made similar comments regarding race, BB would have been obliged to show the dispute in FULL. The transphobic slurs made and broadcast on Big Mouth and BBLB merely reinforce BB’s position that homophobia and transphobia is fully permitted and encouraged by the BB platform. As a result, it has been made to look that Coolio asked to leave the house on the flippant actions of Nadia enraged over a pair of shoes - instead of after days and days of abuse. Her moods following Coolio’s departure were a knock-on effect from his time in the house. It was also not broadcast that Coolio intimidated and threatened Nadia with talks of a stabbing earlier in his youth.

She feels her life is now ruined and the goodwill built from her earlier stay in the house has been destroyed. I am writing this as a deeply concerned friend in the hope that Endemol will do something to address this, please. I can only hope Nadia will forgive me for writing this on a public forum but there is no doubt in my mind that she is now at genuine suicide risk. She has understandably lost all trust in the producers and does not want to speak with Stephen Flett (the esteemed psychologist who approved and put through contestants such as Shahbaz and Alexandra). The only further reproach will be legal action and complaints to OFCOM regarding flagrant unfair portrayal. I am asking Endemol to help Nadia Almada.
Last edited by Flossie on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flossie
Site Admin

Post by Flossie »

Looks as though the people who said that there was more to Coolio leaving than was apparent on the programme.

I was suspicious there was more, but was prepared to be sceptical until evidence emerged, and even though the source is Nadia, some of the other hms have made supporting comments on the live feed when they were chatting to Vanessa last night as they described why Coolio left.

What a wanker that Coolio was, even worse than Makosi and Nadia.
Anna
Analytical Hubster

Post by Anna »

I made my previous post on the Nadia forum before reading this. I can quite believe all this. I do think BB should have shown at least some of it, but can understand it's difficult and possibly offensive material which might have caused a furore.

I think a housemate has to do something quite considerable to be asked to leave, and in the Diary Room excerpt with Coolio shown on the highlights show BB did refer to a sequence of events and since we weren't shown a sequence, I suspected there was more.

The thing is, I think Nadia was voted out more because of her attack on John James to Josie immediately she entered the house, which contributed to Josie leaving. This was referred to by Davina in Nadia's interview as being part of the cause of the turn of opinion against Nadia, and happened before all the Coolio stuff. Whether Nadia erupted at Ulrika over the plate because she had already suffered mental stress from Coolio and was therefore more on edge than she would have otherwise been I don't know. However Davina presented the comparison on BBBM between Nadia in BB5 and Nadia in Ultimate BB, making the point that she was exactly the same. The behaviour of the other housemates is also interesting. Chantelle was actually sad that Coolio left. If some abhorrent stuff had been going on, would Chantelle not have instead endorsed the fact that he had been taken out, seeing it as the right decision? Also Brian and Ulrika in the bedroom on tonight's highlights were talking about Nadia's behaviour and how that was having an effect on the rest of the house. They seemed to be attributing it solely to how Nadia was, rather than seeing the behaviour as the outcome of her stress over Coolio.

I did read on DS before Ultimate BB started however that there was some question around Nadia passing the psychological fitness tests to appear in the show. Whether this was yet another rumour, who knows.

I can imagine she does feel her life is ruined and that the goodwill built from her earlier stay in the house has been destroyed. I could see that last night. Her public image has changed from a loved winner to someone who is now largely disliked and that will inevitably affect her continuing to get work. BB contestants do always take this risk, even second time round.

I feel really sorry for the effect it's had on her. In private life our character flaws and mistakes are sometimes brought home to us in a shocking manner but at least we can do our reassessment and change privately, without it coming to widespread public attention! There's far more impact when something like this happens in the public eye. However I suspect that Nadia won't see her behaviour as responsible for the change in public opinion in any way, seeing Coolio and BB's actions as being more at fault for how she reacted and how she was portrayed.

As for egging her car and abusive letters, that's awful. There are always a contingent of unstable people amongst the fans - you only have to read the forums to realise that. Unfortunately it's another risk that goes along with appearing in Big Brother.
Flossie
Site Admin

Post by Flossie »

and a second post by Marco as an update
----------------------------------------------------------------

Nadia - Suicide Risk Update & APPEAL
I just wanted to say a deeply felt thank you to everyone who took the time to post in the initial thread and private messaged words of kindness and encouragement to Nadia. Everything has been read and all warm sentiments past forward. I feel I owe it to you all to provide an update. Nadia is beginning to seem a little more stable over the past day, we've been sharing little laughs and ordered in a nice lunch. She had otherwise been fairly inconsolable over the weekend.

Having learnt the full extent of editted misrepresentation between herself and Coolio, the more upset she's become and determined to share the truth of events. It's clear that several direct incidents of transphobic abuse have been cut, including:

- Coolio refusing to refer to Nadia as a she and calling her 'he', and more hurtfully, 'it', directly to her and other housemates.
- Frequently asking whether Nadia still had male parts despite warnings from Big Brother.
- Deliberately elbowing Nadia painfully in the back while walking past during a dinner.
- Coolio receiving 3 verbal warnings from BB specifically for abusive and threatening behaviour against Nadia, and
- Being *asked* to leave the Big Brother house, not requesting to leave as a result of his persistent abuse, not because Nadia irrationally lost her temper over a pair of hidden shoes (without context of the abuse).

Emily Big Brother 8, by contrast, had been removed from the Big Brother house for saying a single racist word. Nadia was at the receiving end of days of transphobic abuse.

She was also horrified to hear Davina's comments on Big Mouth about 'boyish good looks', amongst other jibes. Racial jokes would not be tolerated so she is at a loss and devastated to see such transphobic comments screened, especially by an influential TV presenter who she once admired. The transphobic slurs made and broadcast on Big Mouth and BBLB merely seem to reinforce BB’s position that transphobia is fully permitted and allowed by the BB platform.

Nadia has not heard from senior producers since Saturday afternoon and feels they have directly failed her, skirting all contact despite numerous and repeated requests to speak. I am requesting now that you APPEAL with your feet and words. If you feel strongly about this matter and want to do something to directly help Nadia now, please complain to OFCOM about this matter:

https://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/te...-programme-epg

You can also contact the senior producer directly:

Sharon Powers:

sharon.powers@endemoluk.com

Please help Nadia to get the truth known. I will also be starting an online petition. Help to restore some credibility lost by a flagrant unfair portrayal which has shattered her.
Flossie
Site Admin

Post by Flossie »

In answer to Anna's points

Firstly I don't think that Nadia's obnoxious behaviour over plategate had anything to do with Coolio, he had long gone and she must have felt vindicated and endorsed by BB and she even boasted on the live feed she had got Coolio evicted. After he left she must have felt exultant at having banished the evil bully, her general behaviour and demeanour following his eviction confirmed this and I don't think there is any evidence she mentioned Coolio afterwards, so it was not playing on her mind and instead she was much more concerned with cackling with her witches coven in the pool.

Chantelle did not object to Coolio because he gave her attention, and I suspect that the other hms did not raise the issue because there does seem to be a revolting culture in BB houses of bullies being able to do what they want, and the rest of the house refusing to challenge the bully being passive for fear of losing support of the viewers.

Nadia was voted out because she was utterly obnoxious in general and in plategate in particular, as well as annoying all of the JJJ fans. She no longer had the appeal of a journey of acceptance and the suppression of a dark secret which I think enthralled her deluded fanbase in BB5 which I believe consisted largely of women who wanted to support her gender change and girls who empathised with a self-indulgent mouthy female obsessed with her appearance. The younger element of her fanbase has matured and became more aware of her diva-like and selfish behaviour and did not like it, and the older element were no longer so sympathetic to her sexual predicament and objected to her sense of entitlement to the love of the audience.

A telling comment in the daily star interview was that she was deluded enought to feel the BB audience loved her, and she hated being cast as the villain. In BB5 there were a number of villainous characters and she could play the role of the victim in several ways, now with a more gentle house her odious character and bullying and aggressive nature cast her into the role of villain and not victim and so she suffered the penalty.

She has had a tremendous emotional shock from feeling loved to feeling vilified and this has at the very least dented her delusional self-image.

I totally agree that she will interpret the cause of her fall from grace as caused by BB and Coolio and refuse to recognise her fantasy world in which she was adored for what it was.

Return to “Nadia”