How do I resize graphics and pictures ?

Ethos of the forum, policies, FAQs, and anything forum related

Moderator: The Global Mods

Flossie
Site Admin

How do I resize graphics and pictures ?

Post by Flossie »

Graphic images wider than 600 pixels which are included in thread posts stretch the thread pages and may be difficult to view at various screen resolutions, so please resize images to have a width of 600 pixels or less.

Avatars wider than 140 pixels also stretch the forum thread pages, so these should be 140 resized to pixels or less.

Images can be resized very easily with on-line web tools or with software likely to be already installed on your machine. This means you do not need to install any software to be able to resize images.

1) Resizing with photobucket
For those of you with a photobucket account. Photobucket provides a 25%, 50%, 75% resizing facility. These coarse options may not be sufficient for you to get the size of image you desire. Personally, I like my photos to be at least 500 pixels wide to maximise detail.

To resize
a) Locate the image in your photobucket account
b) Click the "Edit" button above the image, this will take you to the edit page
c) Select the appropriate percentage resize option, remember that the image is altered permanently when you resize, so make sure you select the correct option.

2) Resizing with a web tool
Les has kindly located an on-line resizing utility at http://www.myimager.com. This utility supports images in gif and jpeg formats. Unfortunately it assaults you with adverts and pop ups which can be suppressed with pop up blockers but the workflow suffers and the whole experience is quite irritating.

The site will load images from your computer and from anywhere on the web. It will not process images larger than 500k, which can be annoying if you wish to reduce large images from digital cameras which are typically 1.5 MB.

To resize
1) Click the "File" control at the top left of the page, Select the menu option "Open"
2) Select "Browse" to locate a file on your computer or enter a URL in the URL field to obtain a graphic from the web.
3) Click the appropriate "Upload" button, if the image is >500k as is usual with digital camera pictures it will dither for a considerable time and then inform you the image is too large.
4) Click the "Edit" control and select "Resize"
5) Select "yes" in the maintain aspect ratio control
6) Enter the desired width in the width control and click "Submit"
7) Right click the image, select the "save picture as" menu option and save the image to your machine

3) Resizing with desktop software
All PCs come with a graphic utility called Paint. This is launched from the start menu. It is located at "Start->Programs->Accessories->Paint". There are effectively no limits on image size and resizing is quick and painless. The quality of the resultant image will be not be as good as would be achieved using Photoshop.

a) Launch Paint and either, select "File->Open" and locate the image, or drop the image you wish to resize from an explorer window onto the main window.
b) Select the menu option "Image->Stretch/Skew" enter an appropriate percentage in BOTH horizontal and vertical stretch fields.
c) You can check the size of your image in pixels. Select "Image->Attributes"
d) Save the image with "File->Save As"

Last edited by Flossie on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:16 am, edited 17 times in total.
Flossie
Site Admin

Post by Flossie »

Topic updated.
Leona

Post by Leona »

Ooooo goody a whole thread about pixels :joyjump:
AJ

Post by AJ »

Yeah but forget the resizing and complicated stuff - how do you put a picture on here? ](*,)
Emptybelly
Philosophical Hubster

Post by Emptybelly »

AJ, when you start a post click the IMG button then insert the photo location and then click the IMG button once more...
AJ

Post by AJ »

I think you are thinking very ambitiously on my behalf 8-D I press the IMG button but then nothing happens cept an IMG with quote thingies happens and what's a photo location and what do I do with one? :?

But bless ya for trying :angel: Where pooters are concerned I really am unbelieveably stupid. :red: But if you ever want any advice on shoes, handbags, beauty products or fashion I am the girl to ask.

Emptybelly wrote:AJ, when you start a post click the IMG button then insert the photo location and then click the IMG button once more...
Flossie
Site Admin

Post by Flossie »

AJ

There is another FAQ thread on how to put pictures on the hub :)

viewtopic.php?t=5
Toad

Post by Toad »

Is there a rule about where I am allowed to breed?
Sunnie

Post by Sunnie »

Toad wrote:Is there a rule about where I am allowed to breed?
I don't know who you are but I like you.

Return to “Forum rules, FAQ, info”